When you start dreaming of moving to Italy, the first thing on your mind is probably not paperwork. But moving to Italy requires A LOT of it. To move to Italy you’ll need to figure out the best visa for your situation, then once you’re there you’ll need to sort out a permit to stay – a permesso di soggiorno. There are many different visas and permits – one for every individual situation.
This book is your guide to the long lists of paperwork, a walkthrough of all the different appointment processes, and finally, a straightforward layout of the how what, where, and when of the bureaucracy of moving to Italy.
Inside you will find information on how to apply for your visa and permesso if you are:
- A student, coming to Italy for study abroad, teaching English, or for a longer program
- A graduate looking to stick around in Italy longer with the “attesa di occupazione” permit of stay
- An employee navigating your move to Italy
- A freelancer looking for a way to move, or stay in Italy
- A retiree hoping to settle in Italy
- A spouse looking to join your Italian partner
Along with information on how to apply for the relevant visas and permesso di soggiorno you’ll also find information on:
- Getting residency in Italy
- Buying property in Italy
- The Partita IVA (tax code for freelancers) how to sign up and all the things you will need to get started
- Getting married in Italy and much more!
You’ll find a resources section packed full of website sources for Italian Language programs, primary official government sites, plus a quick vocabulary and useful phrases chapter.