What is the Permesso di Soggiorno in Italy

The Italian permesso di soggiorno is the essential document needed to stay in Italy longterm. It is required for anyone who wants to stay in the country for more than 90 days. It is necessary to have the permesso di soggiorno in Italy, in addition to your original visa.. Learn more about permesso di soggiorno and its requirements here.

What is the Permesso di Soggiorno in Italy

Maybe you’ve looked into Moving to Italy and you’ve heard this “Permesso di Soggiorno” mentioned a bit. But what exactly is that? The Permesso di Soggiorno in Italy translates to your Permit to Stay. It’s essential if you plan on staying in Italy long term. Let’s get into why this is different from a visa and what you might need for your permesso di soggiorno in Italy.

Difference between a Visa and A Permesso

An entrance visa is issued by the consulate in your home country and allows you to enter the country. Meanwhile, a Permesso di Soggiorno is your permit to remain in Italy. One opens the door, and the other lets you kick off your shoes and get settled.

Truth is, for anything other than a tourist visa, you will need to do both processes. First, you apply for a visa back in your home country at the nearest Italian Consulate. Then you apply for the Permesso di Soggiorno in Italy during your first 8 days here.

Just a note: you have to apply for a visa in your HOME country. You cannot apply for it in another third country, except on very particular occasions.

Say you are coming to study in a 4-year program, and the visa issued at the consulate will be valid for one year. The Permesso di Soggiorno Italy issues you first will also be valid for only one year. However, when you complete your first year of studies you will only need to renew your permesso, not your visa! Therefore everything is taken care of right here in Italy.

The only overlap between the visa and the permesso is that they will be issued for the same reason.

What kind of permesso are there

Studying is one of many examples. A Study visa will offer you a Permesso di Soggiorno per Motivi di Studio, a permit to stay for study. However, there is one for every other type of visa: Work, Freelance, Religious Missions, Research, Internships, Elective Residency, and Marriage or Family reasons.

Now, it’s also important to note that just because you started with one, doesn’t mean you are restricted to that permesso forever. For example, let’s say you graduate from your 4-year program and find a job. You would no longer be able to have a permesso for studying, but one for work. In this case, you can convert and renew your permesso di soggiorno, again in Italy. You won’t need to return home for a new visa.

If you’d like to find out more about the different types of permesso di soggiorno Italy has, start with this blog.

What will you need for a permesso di soggiorno

Every permesso differs in the required documents, but each goes through a similar process. To start, you will need your visa to obtain your very first permesso. As mentioned, the visa lets you in, which then lets you obtain the permesso di soggiorno.

The only exception is through marriage to an Italian, where you technically do not need to obtain a visa beforehand.

Then the process usually follows the same path. First, within your first 8 days of being in Italy, you will need to get a “Permesso Kit” from the post office. You’ll need to include the required paperwork and photocopies, and fill out the forms inside.

You’ll hand this back into the post office and pay a fee. A few months afterward you will then have an appointment at the Questura, the police headquarters. Note: you’ll want to bring photocopies and originals of ALL documentation you included in the original packet, you’ll also need your passport with you and 4 passport photos.

This appointment is to check your documents and take your fingerprints. After they see everything is in order, you will then wait, coming back in another few months to pick up the physical permesso di soggiorno.

Depending on which one you applied for, you will need to renew the permit every year, for two years, or five years. Be sure to start the renewal process two months prior to expiration, if possible!

If you found this information helpful you can show your support by buying me a glass of wine 🥂. I really appreciate it and each glass inspires me to research more into life in Italy!

Evelyn Hill


  1. perpetua mcnamee on January 20, 2023 at 12:20 pm

    Thank you- I am an EU citizen – do I require a Permesso to stay in Italy for 4 months each year?

    • Evelyn Hill on January 23, 2023 at 8:00 am

      Hello! Nope, EU Citizens do not require a Permesso di soggiorno. However, you will need to register with the local “Anagrafe” office and identify the reason for being in Italy. Technically you need to be studying or working; or if you are freelance you are supposed to be registered to the Italian tax system if staying long term.

      For just 4 months/ year you probably won’t have to do that but you should double check to see if you still need to check in with the Anagrafe (unfortunately I don’t have this info on hand since I normally work with non-EU!)

  2. DarMin on February 22, 2023 at 3:00 pm

    Hi Evelyn, thank you for the wonderful guides and most helpful content!

    I have a small question, as a non-EU citizen marrying an Italian – can I stay during the wait period in Italy?

    Specifically, I’m from a country with visa free regime allowing to stay for 90 days. In case permesso waiting time is longer, can I stay in Italy or I need to get out and come back?

    Thank you!

    • Evelyn Hill on February 24, 2023 at 8:53 pm

      Hi! So it is a bit of a grey area, but I cover it a little more in my Moving to Italy Guidebook, or we can talk about your situation in particular via call!

  3. Bilal on April 8, 2023 at 3:53 am

    Hi Evelyn,
    I have a student resident permit in Germany. I have a work contract from an Italian employer. Can I apply for the entrance visa from Germany? Or do I have to go back to my home country and apply for the visa there?

    Thank you 🙂

    • Evelyn Hill on April 27, 2023 at 7:26 am

      Sent you an email! This is a bit of a particular situation best dealt with !:!

  4. Nasim on August 9, 2023 at 12:01 am

    Hi Evelyn,
    I am an Indian student currently studying in Italy and just received my permesso di soggiorno. As you said that we have to extend only the Permesso di soggiorno and not the visa, So for example when my entry visa gets expired and I have only a valid permesso di soggiorno (extended after it gets expired for next year), can it be used as a visa to travel back to my home country (Non-EU) and then return back to Italy? I mean the permesso di soggiorno will be used as a ‘visa’ ?
    Please kindly let me know.

    Thank you

    • Evelyn Hill on August 14, 2023 at 2:11 pm

      Yes exactly! The Permesso allows you to travel back and forth to your home country. It also in some cases allows you to travel in other countries in Europe but you will need to double check with your specific passport!

  5. Georgia on August 20, 2023 at 4:11 pm

    Hi Evelyn,

    If I apply for the Permesso, do I have to stay in Italy while I wait for it to be approved? Am I able to travel EU countries while waiting?

    Thank you

    • Evelyn Hill on August 24, 2023 at 9:04 am

      Hi Georgia, if you have a valid visa you are fine to travel. If you have only the receipt of the permesso (that little paper) then you can only travel between your home country and Italy.

Leave a Comment